Tickers

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Adjusted age

Friday was Syd's original due date.

I'm torn. I wonder if I should restart the adjusted age ticker or take it down. Developmentally she is pretty much on track. Size wise she is a tiny thing.

The tinyness is hard to deal with. That and the difference in her skin color and mine has gotted questions from strangers when we are out. I don't always feel the need to explain her whole history to the lady behind me in line.

Last week I read an article written by another mom of a biracial child. She decided her answer to "where did you get her?" is "My Uterus." That will be my answer from now on. This is one time I wish I had a vaginal birth, because I'd REALLY love the look on the strangers face when I would say "from my vagina." I love saying words that are not dirty words, but many people think they are. Oh well, I'll just stick to saying, my uterus. If they ask where she got that skin color from, so help me I just might say, "from my husband's sperm."

2 comments:

Faith said...

You know, it's not like you're going to be giving those rude srangers Syd's whole birth story. "From my vagina," is abrupt and direct, and should get them embarrassed enough to stop asking questions.

Of course, there's always the whole, "Oh, you mean no one ever told you where babies come from? Well! A Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much . . ." and see how far you can get. lol

Besides, race is an artificial construct anyway. It's completely meaningless without any meaning that we attach to it. Sydney is a beautiful baby, and she is your daughter. Period.

Kristin, Rod, and Victoria said...

I can't believe people still ask stupid questions like that in today's society! You could always try the shock factor (as if the vagina line isn't!) and say something like: "Oh, she just tans really easily - she doesn't even need sunscreen!"

About the ticker, I took V's adjusted age one down after it hit one year. I felt I didn't need another daily reminder, and that she was on track for her actual age, even tho there was a two and a half month difference. I hope soon you will have the same experience I've had - noticing that fewer and fewer people comment on how she's small for her age - because you can't tell. I know Syd has a ways to go on that front, tho.

Nicu Blinkies