Tickers

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Double Standard

Sorry about turning on the comment verification. I got my first taste of comment spam today, and when I clicked on the link it went to an adult site. Nice. Thank God I did that at home, not work.

So I'm going to a conference on Friday and Saturday. I for some really dumb reason volunteered to go as a chaperone for 16 and 17 year olds. I had all sorts of great reasons like I want to get noticed so I can get promoted. Well, I got promoted, so now what? Anyway I do like teenagers, I just expect to not get much sleep.

So, as I've mentioned before DH is in the Army, and facing a deployment. He just came back from being gone for a months worth of training, and goes for a weekend once a month. In fact he goes next weekend, which is his birthday weekend.

So I am going overnight to this conference. I'll be gone all day Friday and most of Saturday. And someone who is facing being gone for 18 months is complaining that he will be lonely and does not know what he will do. Can you say double standard? He said he worries about my safety and will miss me. Well, when he is gone, I miss him and worry about his safety. So turn about is fair play. Maybe this will be a taste of what I go through when he goes away.

He's doing better after we had a long conversation about this. It has made me wonder, that why does he get the adventures and I don't. Next time I get invited to Vegas without him, I'm going. I'm going to this conference because it will be good for my career, and it will be good for my burnout to get to be around kids in a fun setting.

There is another conference, this time for adults the last weekend of the month. They will pay for one hotel night, I may go to that one as well.

3 comments:

queermom said...

I hope you have a good time this weekend. I'm sure your husband will be OK alone for a few nights.

WendyLou said...

Oh, he will be ok, he is just being a baby about it.

I told him to do what I do when he is gone, eat what I want and rent movies I want to see that he won't (like Chic flicks.) I bet he heads to Blockbuster rents enough war movies to refight the civil war, stays up all night, orders pizza and then sleeps in all day.

StateShift said...

Comment spam sucks! I got my first today. Sometimes you can tell it's spam by examining the link. In my case, the domain was "dateonlineuxtnal.place.cc".

I'm glad he has this small chance to feel what it will be like to have him gone for all that time. Why is he worried about your personal safety? If there is a murder or rape in Provo, it spends weeks in the headlines, because it's big news. Mass killings in Iraq barely even get mentioned for fear of telling us something that matters and losing ratings.

Nicu Blinkies