Tickers

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Politics in Utah

Bad, bad news in the Deseret (desperate) News. Lavar Christensen a real ass and homophobe in Utah, has decided to run against Jim Matheson for federal congress. To read the article click here. Now it really irks the Republicans that Jim is even elected, because he is the SOLE Democrat sent to congress. In 2000, they gerrymandered the districts to try to get rid of him, but somehow he keeps getting elected (which the article explains).

Lavar LOVES to run message bills. Basically he says if you are not strait, you are not welcome. Trista has been talking about him here. Even the article comments about this. Here is that article... My comments about his statements are in italics.

State Rep. LaVar Christensen, R-Draper, made it official Wednesday: He's running against Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson in the 2nd Congressional District this year.

Damn.

LaVar Christensen Two other Republicans — Joe Tucker of Alpine and Chris Lonsberry of Ivins — have announced against Matheson, but Christensen may have the best chance of giving the three-term incumbent a contest. Christensen, who has already raised $185,000 for the race, putting in $150,000 of his own money, said he is too busy with his legislative work to make a big show of an announcement. That will come before he formally files his candidacy.

So what this means is that he has actually raised $35,000, and contributed $150,000 of his own money. See why normal people can't get involved and run? I could contribute about $100 to my campaign.

"I just want people to know of my decision," said Christensen as he passed out a press release to some of the reporters covering the 2006 Legislature. "There is a bright dawn ahead for America," Christensen said in the release. "The Republican vision for our country draws inspiration from our past and offers the promise of a bright future for our children. "Our nation is built on a solid foundation of wisdom and principles that have weathered every storm and spread freedom throughout the world. In Congress, I will work to preserve that heritage."

"Preserving the Heritage" read: Discriminating against GLBT, and non-Christians, and anyone who thinks differently than he does. Ever notice how so much is about "the children" however when "the children" need money, it gets cut? Utah is number 50 out of 50 states in the per pupil spending rate.

Said Matheson: "We won't know who my opponent is until after the (Republican) convention and the primary. Who runs against me has no effect on how I do my job. I am looking forward to talking about my record of accomplishment with Utahns this year."

I love Scott. I am so glad that Utah sends at least one Democrat to Congress.

Christensen, an attorney who also deals in land development, was first elected to the House in 2002. He quickly showed his conservative side, introducing several so-called "moral" bills, speaking often on legislation and quoting from the Founding Fathers and other well-known Americans. This year Christensen is sponsoring 12 bills and resolutions, more than most House members.

Do we want to send someone to Congress who is clogging up Utah's legislature with message bills, and passing things destined to get Utah sued? Do we want to send that to Congress, so instead of wasting 45 days in Utah, he can waste a whole year in Washington.

He has long been an admirer of the late President Ronald Reagan, offering resolutions calling for naming different buildings or installations after the late president. His HJR13 in this session urges Congress to rename Hill Air Force Base the Reagan Hill Air Force Base. To challenge Matheson, Christensen will have to give up his District 48 seat. Earlier this year, KSL Radio talk show host Doug Wright announced he wouldn't run against Matheson. GOP executive director Spencer
Jenkins said he knows of no other GOP candidates who may enter the race before
the mid-March candidate filing deadline. If that ends up to be the case, Christensen is the best financed and best known of the GOP pack.

I've already commented on changing Hill Air Force Base's name. To read this, click here. Suffice it to say, I do not agree with this.

Matheson, who always works hard at fund raising, has $650,000 in cash. He's spent more than $1 million in his past contests. "The 2nd District needs effective representation," Christensen said. "Like the majority of voters in the district, I am a Republican by choice and for good reason." Republicans are holding America together, he said.

Well Levar, I am a DEMOCRAT by choice and for good reason. I love how he is insulting the good job that Matheson has been doing in Washington. I'd also like to add that I feel much of the division in our country is caused by the Republicans and their exclusions. I don't believe the Republican party is holding the US together, instead I feel they have done a good job at creating an Us versus them society.


"Our party offers the compass and the map that guide our progress as a nation." But Christensen's challenge is to get a large number of Republicans — especially Salt Lake County Republicans — to vote for him. After the Legislature redrew Matheson's 2nd District boundaries in 2001, the son of the late Gov. Scott M. Matheson has had to appeal to a heavily Republican district that runs from the eastern part of Salt Lake County east and south into Washington and Iron counties — one of the largest geographic districts in the nation. Matheson carried the
Salt Lake County portion of the district by more than 60 percent in his last two
elections — getting a healthy chunk of the Republican vote.

Wow, one party contains all the solutions to the worlds problems. Problem is that the Republicans have been in power for several years now, and I feel our country is worse off. The LAST think we need is to send another rubber stamp for GWB to Congress. Notice how not everyone agrees.... Matheson got a lot of Republican votes to win.

Christensen's release had several GOP House members praising the Draper Republican's work. Christensen said: "My service in the state Legislature has given me a good grasp of our state's needs. Federal issues that concern us — education, transportation, taxes, health care, the courts, public lands — are all matters that I'm working on in the Legislature."

Oh, I could write pages on this guy. I feel he is so far right, he can't read the watch on his left hand. He is afraid to make a left turn for fear he will turn into a liberal. He's currently a medium fish in a small pond. Sending him to Washington would turn him into a itty-bitty fish in the Ocean. Might do his ego some good.

Addressing current Washington, D.C., scandals, Christensen said, "Washington is
in need of reform, but reform cannot happen if everyone just goes along to get
along." Congress must change the way it does business, Christensen said. "The lobbyist abuses cross party lines. Every elected official must safeguard the public trust. I will work tirelessly to maintain that trust. "I believe I can make a real difference for Utah in Congress."

No you will go there and look like an ass and have the rest of the US think that Utah is a bunch of backwater fools. I'm already committed to working to defeat this moron, any one want to join me?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
Your comments are great. I really enjoyed reading the article with your comments. It was the first time I've viewed your web page. You've inspired me to become more aware of the ongoing political ratrace.
I can't wait to talk to you on Tuesday and hear about the suggested Hill Air Force Base name change. I have to admit that is just a little out there.
Jana

Faith said...

Wendy,

If I were there, I'd be fighting right by your side. I got a letter from the Republican Party the other day wondering if I have defected. Yes!!! I have! I am a woman who thinks for herself and cares about this country and the people who make it there home.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy. Careful, you get too huffy you may make that baby have ADHD someday!! lol. I hate all politicians pretty much. There are VERY few that seem to even remotely really care about their people. It's definitely time for some changes, but I feel so helpless to help bring any about because I don't know all that much about politicians.
Danielle

Anonymous said...

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

Anonymous said...

If he wasn't bad enough already - he has hired an attack strategist / named Jeff from the Tim Bridgewater campaign of 2004. Looks like this year is going to be another black eye for republicans!

Emily said...

I have no love for LaVar Christensen.
Anybody ever heard what he did to Trisha Beck, who he beat in the Utah Legislature Race in 2002? It was ugly. LaVar is a mean campaigner and a mean politician.

Nicu Blinkies