Tickers

Monday, June 12, 2006

O-

Sydney's anemia of Prematurity came to a head today. Sydney had to have a blood transfusion.We had known this was coming. Last week, the doctor told us he expected her anemia to get worse, and that she was likely to need one. They checked her red blood cell level yesterday, and it was high. The test was an error. Today's test was 21, a drop from 34 last week.I stayed with her as they put the IV in.


The nurse did a good job, and got the IV in one poke. Sydney cried. It was hard for me to be there, but I was glad I could have my hand holding her on the table, talking softly to her while the IV was put in. She cried a lot. After the IV was in, I held her until she could calm down. I've heard and seen procedures in the NICU before, I knew what was going to happen. I stayed because when the nurses are doing a procedure, the procedure is their focus. I stayed so I could be there to talk softly to her and have someone there to comfort her. I'm not saying the nurses are wrong to focus on the procedure, they need to. I was just glad I could be there so there was someone to comfort her.


The hospital does not allow family donors. They feel there is a risk a family member may be intimidated into donating and be less than honest in their health history. The doctor said that they would maybe consider me, but since I just had surgery and blood loss, I could not donate. The hospital said they have specially screened donors for the NICU.


Sydney received O- blood from an anonymous donor. I am grateful for that donor and the gift they gave my little girl. She got the red blood cells she needed from that person. If you can, call up the Red Cross and give blood.


I stayed with her today while the transfusion went in. She was pretty uncomfortable and fussy. I could not pick her up and hold her because the tube giving the blood was rather short, but I sat by her and touched her and talked to her. My mom came up in the afternoon and sat with me. Her IV leaked at one point, and she got blood on her shirt and face. It scared me to see blood on her face, but we cleaned it up, and they fixed the IV. I am glad that they did not need to redo the IV.


Sydney showed no ill effects from the transfusion. When we saw her that night, her face seemed red to us. The nurse said it was because we were used to seeing a bluish baby, and now with more red blood cells, we have a pink baby.I took a picture of her getting the transfusion. Here it is...


No comments:

Nicu Blinkies