Tickers

Monday, January 09, 2006

Pregnancy sciatic nerve

My beloved Google has failed me. I am in AGONY with sciatic nerve pain. Basically, I googled pregnancy sciatic nerve and got some explanations, and was told that this is here to stay, until the baby is born. YIKES!!! It hurts SO bad, and it is awful. I sit, it hurts, I get up, it hurts. I stand, it hurts. I sit in my car to drive, it hurts. I dare to press the gas or break pedal, it is awful. (Yes, this is my right leg involved.) The pain starts at my mid butt and goes clear to the instep of my foot. Seriously, this is awful. I want some SERIOUS pain medication, but am left with lowly Tylenol. Sometimes the pain is a dull ache, sometimes, it is a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale.

Why I am claiming the great and powerful Google abandoned me? Because I hoped to find some magic, quick fix cure. There is none. Basically, it is what my doctor’s nurse said when I called. Tylenol 1000 mg, every 4 hours. Try hot and cool packs. Do stretches. I did the aforementioned stretches in my office and ended up stranded on the floor, and had to yell for help. The sites do talk about chiropractic and acupuncture care. They also mention massage care. Honestly, at this point, after a VERY painful and unproductive weekend, if someone were to say that dying my hair blue would help, I’d probably give it a try. I’m looking into finding practitioners here in Davis County that do this, and are knowledgeable about pregnancy.

Really, I felt like a complete bum this weekend. The only pain free position, (with the exception of my instep, which always hurt) was lying on my side in bed. I did very little, but what I did hurt.

I think what started this was on Friday night, I decided that I had to get Christmas put away. So we got it all packed up and put in the closet. I did a lot of heavy lifting, even though Vince kept telling me not to. I guess I wanted to prove that I am still a functioning adult and capable of managing work. I work up with this on Saturday, and am paying for my ignoring of my limitations.

See, the thing is, I barely show. I can look not pregnant if I dress right. I think all the excess weight still on me is hiding the baby. So since I don’t look pregnant, I should be able to do whatever I want to right? I don’t want people to think I am taking advantage of being pregnant as an excuse to lie around and be lazy, so I overdo it.

I guess this is one more way my body is telling me I am overdoing it. I just don’t want to listen, and am paying for it now.
Anyone with a sciatic nerve pain relief technique, please post it.

2 comments:

Boliath said...

Find a masseuse, quickly. I had terrible sciatica during my pregnancy, I started going for massages every two weeks from about 5 months on, it was wonderful! Find someone who knows how to massage pregnant women, you shoudl be on your side not your back, there are restrictions on where you can be massaged etc... Good luck!

WendyLou said...

Thanks. I am trying to find one.

My therapist is into Eastern thinking, and the sciatica nerve and pain with this is conected to concern about employment and finances. Funny how that so applies right now.

Nicu Blinkies